Day 15b
Okay, this damned place may have
become way more trouble than its worth. And if I find out that any of
the townsfolk had any idea what was living inside this Mart, they'll
be lucky if all I do is knock them on their ass. The raiders would
have been bad enough, I sweat and bled to drive them off, took
injuries and bullet wounds. But they were a breeze and a nap compared
to what I found in the Mart.
I had gotten into the food area and
walked down an aisle at random, looking over the boxes and cans all
over the floor, shelves toppled or spilled. Most of the stuff was
difficult to identify, too faded or too damaged, some even torn or
broken open. I hadn't thought much about the damage, at least not
consciously. I guess, in retrospect, I just assumed that it was the
ravages of time combined with clumsy scavenging by the townsfolk and
others. I explored, looking over the contents while I waited for the
townsfolk to catch up with me. At the end of the aisle, there looked
to be refrigeration units, silhouettes of a cow and a pig hung over
them. I saw another sign, hung from the ceiling far down the way; it
said “Produce”, but the only things I could make out being
produced were tangles of wild lettuce, onions, and watermelons.
My attention was suddenly drawn to a
pair of doors set in the wall in the middle of the unit, barely
attached to their hinges right between the cow and the pig. There
seemed to be movement, only briefly seen through the gaps in the
askew doors, and I started to raise my rifle and take a step closer,
tensing. I was still exhausted, but my heart began to pump faster,
adrenaline flowing. And then the doors burst open, one flying
completely free from the wall and crashing into one of the aisles.
Like I said, I hate and fear large
places like this. All this space, just open enough to be roomy and
yet just close enough to be comfortable, combined with all the food
inside and whatever can be hunted up through whatever opening might
be available and large enough. It makes a rather ideal dragon nest.
Don't get me wrong, they're not like
the creatures in the story books, the size of the building with a
gargantuan wingspread, able to fly overhead and breathe fiery
destruction below. But they are still nothing to be trifled with.
Mutated lizards, growing to a length often equal to ten times a man's
height, with long, hooked claws and teeth. Thick hides, commensurate
with their size. No fire-breathing that I've heard of, though I have
heard a few rumors of some being able to regurgitate and spew their
stomach acid in a blistering spray.
Luckily for me, they tend to be
slow-moving beasts, so I was able to outrun it enough that it
apparently didn't even see where I exited. Its been a little while
since I came out, though I've been watching the place too closely to
check the time. The danger is not only the door I entered through.
There has to be another entrance somewhere, a hole big enough for the
creatures to have entered in the first place, as well as to exit to
hunt for fresh meat.
And yes, I am referring to multiple of the
creatures. While I only saw one come after me, that was likely due
more to the speed with which I fled. As it burst from that door, I
could see behind it due to some illumination from deeper within. The
one I saw, the one that pursued me, was definitely an adult. But
there may have been another. And I saw behind it an egg, with the
remains of at least one other shell, hatched.