Day 12b
Feeling better, but still recovering.
Took a nap, had a little bit of stew along with some crackers that
someone brought me as thanks for clearing out the Fallen nest so that
they can scavenge. Andrew hasn't come back yet, but I'll be able to
report that my strength's already returning some.
Now seems like a good to talk about
the Mutates. First, bear in mind that there is a pretty wide range of
variation, and to cover every single one would be almost impossible.
It'd be about like trying to give a description of every regular
human. The main difference is that, with humans, the differences are
things like different hair and eye color, different heights. Mutates
tend to vary more...let's say, sharply.
For the most part, in the great
majority, Mutates are huge. Most of the ones I've seen are around
eight feet tall, some reaching nine, and Andrew is the only Mutate I
have ever seen with shoulders less than twice as wide as mine. And I
have heard rumors of some growing even bigger, almost gargantuan.
They're generally well-muscled, too, and strong; a Mutate blacksmith
is a muscle mass with eyes. They tend to have very pale skin, pretty
much a chalk white, but they don't get sunburned or tan. I haven't
seen much variation in hair color, ranging from black through gray to
white. And there's not a huge difference between male and female.
They seem to be able to tell each other apart easily, but I can't.
There was a magazine I found a while back, it gave tips on exercise
and on nutrition, things like that. And there was a story with some
pictures, about “female bodybuilders”. It was about like that,
but even more so.
They also differ from normal humans
mentally. Mutates usually are not very bright, though it can be
dangerous to assume that about all of them. From the ones I've
managed to speak to, I actually think it's a matter of focus or
attention span. Most don't have it; in fact, Andrew's the only one
I've seen it otherwise in. Learning about anything requires focusing
on it, studying or practicing, and they just can't. On the other
hand, they make pretty good blacksmiths or cooks, things where you
can enjoy what you make as soon as you're done. And of course, they
can be damned good fighters.
Now, a lot of people will also call
them extremely violent. Personally, I don't think that they're all
that much more violent than humans. They're just more direct about
it.
I haven't seen or heard much study on
them or anything. General guess is that Mutates came from radiation,
maybe even disease, warping normal humans, and then the new traits
being passed down to their children. This also explains variations
and offshoots. Andrew, for example, is relatively rail-thin, only a
little wider than me. But, he's about eleven feet tall, and a pretty
smart guy. I've seen one with tentacles, and one disturbing whose
skin was almost clear.
Like Dyers, though, they tend to make
home for themselves, away from the others. The Mutates, though,
arrange theirs closer to a mix of a tribe and a raider family. The
one in charge at any given time is usually the one that hits hardest,
argues loudest, or both. And that can change the next time they need
to decide something.