Day 12
I'm still in bed. Still really weak,
too, and it's been a couple of days. Turns out that the “itchy”
spot on my neck was apparently a scratch from the Fallen, and
infection set in. It's not a light matter when all of the factories
or whatever that used to make medicine have ceased any production,
and calling someone “doctor” usually just means they've read a
couple of old books. I did meet a Surgeon, once. He carried a
hatchet, a saw, and a blowtorch.
So, given all of that...the fact that
I'm still alive now is pretty damned notable, and I lucked out.
It turns out that there was a
traveling herbalist visiting the town when I passed out. And an even
bigger oddity, he was a Mutate. Huge guy, I think I mentioned that
fact before I went out completely. I realize I haven't really gone
into much detail on them yet, I'll describe them more later. I'm
definitely staying in bed today, and possibly tomorrow as well.
But, he knew his plants, and he was
willing to try to help me stay alive. From what Jennifer's told me,
he spent a few hours brewing a tea, making a stew, and mixing a
salve. It was tricky work getting the tea and the stew in me, as I
was either unconscious or delirious through most of yesterday and the
day before. I had a fever, and the sweats, and I even soiled myself a
couple of times. Not a pleasant image. Kinda glad I don't remember
any of it; even if I couldn't help it, I'm still embarrassed that I
was that weak and helpless.
He spread the salve across the
scratches on my neck a few times, saying it would help clean the
wound and stop the infection from worsening. The tea was to help
lower my fever and help my body fight it off from the inside. The
stew was to do more of the same but in more concentration, in
addition to getting nutrients and food into me.
He apologized this morning, saying
that he just used my own food and meat from here to make everything,
mixed with the medicinal herbs and plants that he carried with him.
Meekest Mutate I have ever seen. I laughed, and I told him that not
only did he not owe me an apology, I owe him a huge debt for his
efforts. He smiled, and introduced himself as Andrew, and then he
left to get himself a walk and then some rest. He should be back
later to check on me, he said.