Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day 14

Out of town again on another errand. There's an old store about ten miles from town, something Mart. Pretty sizable inside, the townsfolk have been there some in the past, to get canned goods, medicines, batteries. All kinds of stuff. Apparently, they had a pretty wide selection, plus the large building was, like, further divided into some other stores and businesses, which helped protect some of goods inside. The townsfolk scrounged up some extra bags, a flare gun, and even a small cart.

There's a couple reasons they've got me going on this scavenging run, instead of just sending a few townsfolk and maybe a guard or two. Max is still worried about Brother Francis and his church, worried the guy'll be back immediately and try something. We asked him to give us a few days before he came back, but the guy didn't seem exactly stable, and he may just snap if he just gets turned away again, whether he's early or not.
Other main reason's that a couple of the Guard thought they saw movement out near here, moving in that direction. Could have been nothing. Or, could be bandits, some sort of critter, maybe even a few Fallen I missed somehow. Point is, there wasn't any way to be sure without somebody checking it out. I volunteered for it. May not be as native to the area, but I've got a lot more experience at scouting. This way, I can take a look around, see what's what, and I can send up a flare if its safe for the town to send a couple guys to help pack it all up and haul it back.


I estimate that I should be able to reach the place within a couple of hours. I'll pause as soon as I have a visual on it, probably take a quick look through binoculars to get some idea of the lay of the land. And then I can rest up for a bit, maybe get a small bite to eat, some water. Any more detailed plan'll have to wait until after that. The townsfolk were able to give me a couple sketched-out maps of the place from their last scavenging run out here, but it's been nearly a decade since their last trip. Not that I can blame them, I understand it can be hard to leave those safe walls for a nearly six-hour walk. Just means I'm going to map most it out on my own, while I take care of whatever needs taking care of.