Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Day 14b

Yeah, there's something over there alright. And it's something human-shaped. Two legs, walks upright, all that. I'm currently camped a little less than a mile away. Far enough that I can make out the L-shaped building through the binoculars, and I can make out the shapes moving on and around it, but not much more detail than that. The fact that there's people there -or people-ish, anyway- alters things slightly. Just finished getting myself a light snack and some water, just enough to keep me fueled and hydrating, not enough to weigh me down. Gonna give it a few minutes to settle, and then I'm gonna creep a little closer. I've got some decent cover where I am, some scrub bushes keeping me hidden as long as I stay low. About a hundred yards up, there's some large rocks or old cars or something that I can easily hide behind and get a closer look at things.

The difficulty will be in getting from here to there. There's a few bushes, some low rocks, even a ditch that angles across part of the distance, but its still not much cover for that kind of distance. I'm gonna have to stay low and stay fast, and hope I'm lucky enough that they're either not looking this way or they're not looking this far. Or both. Both would work even better, really.

Odd thing I noticed, all of the movement seems to be clustered at one end of the place. And this is a pretty huge place. I can't really give an estimate from here, its too far to see clearly enough, but I'm currently guessing that the long side is a hundred yards long, the short side half that. I have seen some buildings this large...but never one still so whole. Again, I could be wrong when I get closer, but all the walls appear to still be standing. That's notable on anyplace pre-Cataclysm, but especially on someplace so large.


I've never been inside someplace so large, either. I just tend to shy away from 'em. Like, tunnels don't bother me nearly as much, even a large network of them; if I get attacked, it can generally only be from one or two directions at a time. Outdoors, I can generally see what's coming. Big place like that, though? I could end up surrounded, with just one small door to escape through and a struggle to even reach it. Or, a place that big, I could walk into darkness, only to have lights suddenly coming to life across some old tech tank or robot. At least with this place, I know it was just a store.